I have thought about this phrase “basically you don’t fit”
Why I don’t fit and … why I am okay with that.
I am a Christian:
God has called us to not fit in. Jesus called His disciples to “follow me.” To follow Christ is counter cultural. As a Christian I am not of this world. John 18:36 says, Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.
I am okay with going against current culture to be obedient to Christ in my life. It has been a part of who I am since my new life in Jesus, 1987. These are some of the Scriptures that have guided me through my life as a Christian.
- 1 Peter 2:11-12, “Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.”
- Philippians 3:20 “But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ”
- “I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.” (John 17:14)
I am a husband:
- Ephesians 5:25 says, “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,…”
- I am truly blessed to have the woman who I have as a wife. She helps to keep me grounded and focused on God. She is such a godly woman every day with her is such a blessing and honor.
I treasure my wife and being married to her is one of the greatest honors in my life. We have experienced much in our life together and it has strengthened our relationship with each other and our Lord Jesus.
I am a father: Some random quotes about being a father.
- A father carries pictures where his money used to be. ~Author Unknown
- Your children need your presence more than your presents. ~Jesse Jackson
- The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. ~ Henry Ward Beecher
I love my children: I many times feel inadequate and not ready to be a parent but I love them both more than any student in my youth ministry. They are my first ministry and greatest priority is to help them both be captivated by Jesus. I want to make sure that I never put them second.
I am a Keydet: I am graduate of the Virginia Military Institute. It was one of the toughest experiences of my life but I am truly thankful God allowed me to finish and graduate. Check it out here and here. I do think that it made me see the value of working hard for something. It also taught me that God will carry me through and beyond what I thought I could do.
I am a bicyclist: In 2008 I bought a Scott Speedster S40 road bike and rode about 730 miles. In 2009 I rode 1222.27 miles. I have always enjoyed bike riding. I also have a Cannondale Super V700 which I have an untold number miles. I have been able to really getting into riding here.
People can not understand the want or need to ride. It has been a great outlet and way to focus.